Get a $10.00 Music Credit at eMusic.com!

4/6/08

Ratdog At The Beacon Theatre

I went Saturday night 4/5/08. I thought it was a great show. Other people who saw multiple shows were not as impressed as me. I guess it's all relative. I made the most of it since I could only go to one show. It helped to be in the first row where there's a different kinda energy coming off the stage up close. Thought the opener Help-Slipknot was strong. The segway into Maggies Farm was a letdown although Maggies Farm was still good. The rest of the First set was strong to say the least; Row Jimmy, Dark Star > Weather Report Suite Prelude/Part 1 > Let It Grow. No complaints there.

Bob Weir Ratdog Beacon Theatre April 08
The second set started with the usual acoustic endevour. You Win Again was nice to hear Bobby sing (some others would beg to differ, oh well; their problem) and well done. I always enjoy the sleazy City Girls, this version going into a really hot jam!!! Victim or the Crime was real hot too. Bobby trades in his acoustic for an electric and they play a laid back Lazy River Road. I also don't mind Bobby's voice on this Jerry ballad, but some people complain they can't deal with his edge on certain songs of Jerry's. I have no problem here. Just brings a different emotion or angle to these great songs he's keeping alive. Mark Karan's playing on Lazy River was really sweet and remeniscent of Jerry, and for me struck a cord. It's the first time I saw Mark since his return and felt his playing was impressive, even poignant at times, this being one of them. Great to see him back. The rest of the second set (just like the end of the first set) was strong -> Jack Straw > Dark Star > Stuff, Days Between > Two Djinn > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower. Encore: One More Saturday Night. Jack straw was a nice second set surprise. The rest of the set was really hot. Once again I loved the Days Between but some have problems with it. I thought Bobby's delivery of it was suiting to Hunters lyrics. Almost haunting. It's that kind of a song though. Phil's interpretation, I always felt, was haunting too (not to mention Jerry's).
Bob Weir Ratdog Beacon Theatre April 08
All in all a good strong show. Wish I coulda done all three, but happy and Grateful I could make it to at least one. Hope ya like the photos I shot. Rare that I bring a camera in. A little blurry, but I never said I was a concert photographer.


As for Bobby "Thanks, for a real good time!"

No comments: